1/15/12

People have asked, why do you paint the things you paint, and what inspires you?  Well, I've been told that portraits, figures, fairy tales and mythology won't sell.  Maybe so, but it's what I love.  When I was a child, I was very shy and quiet. I loved my picture books, dressed up in scarves or whatever I could find to make believe I was in those beautiful stories I read. When I was 7 or so, someone gave us an old green satin ballgown dress to play in, and I remember dancing and spinning in it for hours, just to watch how the folds would move and glisten in the light...sometimes when I am drawing, that feeling of pure sensual joy returns. I use my models as a starting point, then my imagination takes over as I sketch, and the story unfolds...I see Persephone, or a sea creature emerging...or simply a certain expression that has to be explored, is enough.

I have begun a new series of work over the past few months, colored pencil stories,which I am now starting to paint in oil. I'll keep you posted.